Saturday 1 October 2016

Back to basics

When I received my feedback from my module 1 work I realised that I need to be more specific and focused when writing and keep referring back to my practice and making it clear what my practice is and what it entails. I've found that writing questions and answers is a good way to do this and helps me to organise my thoughts, so I am going to approach the next task by going back to basics and stripping things down to facts.

What is my practice?

Ballet dancer in professional ballet touring company - Vienna Festival Ballet

What do I enjoy about my practice? 

Fulfilling my ambitions. Performing everyday. Everyday is different and exciting. Being with friends and likeminded people everyday.

What do I find difficult about my practice?

Unsociable hours - working weekends and evening in other friends and family's time off. Little rest time and doing physical activity 6 days a week is sometimes tiring. Dealing with injuries. Time management. Staying healthy when on tour.

What a typical day entails:

Travelling on the tour bus. Arriving at theatre. Prepping for the show (applying make-up, styling hair, getting costumes ready). Doing ballet class as warm up. The show. Travelling back to London or going to hotel.

How can I improve my practice?

Writing corrections from shows. Working on technique in class. Going to the theatre to watch other dance works and performances to stay motivated and in the loop. Networking with other dancers/choreographers/teachers who may help me in the future.


After asking myself these questions and looking into what my practice involves I have realised it would be good for me to further my inquiry into something to do with life on tour. Now to start thinking of some questions for typical lines of inquiry ...






No comments:

Post a Comment