Wednesday 6 April 2016

Reflective practice - initial thoughts

What is reflection? 

Dictionary definition:
reflection
rɪˈflɛkʃ(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1
    the throwing back by a body or surface of light, heat, or sound without absorbing it.
    "the reflection of light"
    synonyms:sending back, throwing back, casting back, mirroring, backscattering
    "the colours seen in soap bubbles are caused by reflection of light"
  2. 2
    serious thought or consideration.
    "he doesn't get much time for reflection"
    synonyms:thoughtthinkingconsiderationcontemplationstudydeliberation, pondering, meditationmusing, rumination, cogitationbrooding,

Reflection is a word that can be used in several different contexts. It could be used to describe someone looking into a mirror or seeing their reflection in water. However, when we talk about reflective practice the meaning of the word has different implications and I have started thinking about what reflection means to me. I feel that reflection is purposely thinking about a certain time or event and analysing your thoughts and actions. When reading through Reader 2 the phrases  about reflection that stood out to me are 'giving meaning to what you are doing' 'active thinking' and 'extracting meaning from events'. I think all of these summarise the term reflection and have helped me understand a little more about how reflection could be useful to me on my professional practice. 

What I already do? 
In terms of reflection I probably do most of mine in bed before I go to sleep when I think about the events of the day ... In task 2 we have been introduced to the idea of journal writing and although previously I have not had a journal since I was about 13 I do have a diary that I write a lot of lists in and this helps me organise myself and my thoughts. Although I don't use this to write down the events of the day I do find that writing down to-do lists quite therapeutic and can understand how writing a journal could be beneficial and help give meaning to what you are doing. 

Something interesting that David Boud said was that 'journal writing can be viewed through many different lenses: as a form of self-expression, a record of events or a form of therapy.'

I found this interesting because he gives three of journal writing. I agree with all these three points and think they could all be helpful in regards to me and my professional practice. A journal is a great was to privately express yourself and your thoughts. It is also a good way to record events and can help preserve memories of things that have happened. I completely agree that journal writing can be a form of therapy because for me personally I always feel better once I have written things done because it almost takes the thoughts and mess from out my head and organises it on paper. In a way consolidating what I have learnt in the day.

Here I have collected a few different images which I think could represent reflection in one way or another.







2 comments:

  1. Hi Maddie. I also write endless to do lists! Writing lists helps me to compartmentalise my thoughts, making things clearer in my head and in turn reducing my stress levels which links to Bouds idea of it being a firm of therapy. I totally agree when you say journaling "can help to preserve memories". I use the descriptive diary method and photography to do this. We often take life at 100 miles an hour but it is also important to appreciate life. There's only so much our brains can take and journaling in the above forms, certainly helps me to acknowledge what I've done or achieved. I often write letters as a form of expression that I may not ever send. Doing so helps me to reflect upon my feelings and reactions to situations, it helps me to release emotions and gage whether they are reasonable reactions or not.
    I love the opposing definition of reflection regarding a mirror. When we look in the mirror we often analyse what we see. When we reflect on experience, we do the same. We analyse what we perceive to be the good points or bad. Exactly like dancers often do with our image. I must spend 50% of my life looking in a mirror, whether it be in the dressing room or in the studio.

    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Yes I too find it really therapeutic and always feel better and less stressed after writing a list! Letter writing is an interesting method of reflection, it's something I have never tried but will give it a go! Yes the duel definitions of reflection are actually connected in our profession as dancers, I find this really interesting and is something I will probably return to throughout the module! Thanks for your comments Megan! It's really interesting to hear your opinions and yes very strange to think we spend so much time looking at ourselves in the mirror!!!! Maddy

      Delete