Thursday 28 April 2016

Task 3C Sources of information

My most current sources of information:



The Internet:
Without a doubt this is my primary source of information. When I began thinking about how much I rely on the Internet to inform me about auditions, events and everything really I began wondering what would I do without it? Imagine if one day there was no more Internet? If there was no internet would that mean I would have to develop other networks and gather information from different places? Would I still be well connected within the industry without it? Am I too reliant on the Internet? This source of information for networking supports the connectivism theory and helps the sharing of information suggesting networking if a system where we can all interact. 

Other dancers/friends:
Knowing people in the industry is vital and essential to 'making it' in the performing arts world. Not only will this help you advance with auditions and being in the right place at the right time but without knowing people in the industry I think it can feel like a very lonely place. At auditions everyone seems to know each other so it can feel very solitary if you are completely alone and this can lower your confidence. Also having people in the industry to talk to and people who can understand and sympathise with professional issues you may be having is very important. Knowing people who can support you and give you advice on how to progress in the profession is very useful and can benefit you massively. Lots of the professional decisions I have made had been influenced and advised by others in the industry, whether that be ex-teacher or friends as these are people in the best position to help me and likewise I will advise my friends and other professional to help them. This way of networking and co-operation supports the social connectism theory where relationships are formed and we extract meaning from them. 


Workshops:
You cannot leave a workshop with making new connections within the industry. There's always lots of other participants and of course the work shop leaders and assistants. They are a great way to broaden your network and meet like minded people. Also they can be a great way to 'get your foot in the door' with a company. Often before a big Matthew Bourne audition the company holds a workshop where they will be scouting for talent already so it is a good way to be seen and make yourself memorable before the audition. Also it is an opportunity to talk to the people involved in the company and have your questions and queries answered. 


Other publications, magazines etc:
There are many dance and performance related publications which are a great way to be involved in the industry. Before I moved to ballet school I was subscribed to the Dancing Times and RAD Gazette and because I didn't know that many people in the dance world this helped me feel connected and informed of current events in the industry! I feel like now I don't use these types of publications as much as I could because I rely on the internet so this is an area of networking I will try to broaden. 

For me personally I think I need to use a wider variety of sources to improve my current practice. I will try to use other publications and actively search for workshops and other related events I can attend and participate in. I think in our generation people mainly rely on the internet for a main source of information so perhaps we should try to find alternative ways to broaden our networks.

No comments:

Post a Comment