Friday 22 April 2016

Task 3A Current networks

Current networks:







How do I engage in my professional networks? 

My professional network:

Ballet dancers - dancers - friends - teachers - people who I have met at auditions - agents - choreographers - producers - photographers 

I engage in my professional networks by talking to people and keeping in contact with people I know in the industry quite often my being connected on Facebook or LinkedIn. Always trying to make connections in as many areas as possible, including photographers and producers because I have learnt from past experiences that opportunities can arise! 

Established ways others network? 

Professional groups and networks. Perhaps signing up to a dance magazine or organisation like Dance UK

Any networks I use socially that I can use to network professionally? 

I have already began to network using my social media accounts like Facebook and Instagram! I have been approached for job through my Instagram account and use Facebook to keep up to day with auditions and jobs as offer companies post these on their company Facebook page. Obviously there are ethical issues here and questions raised about privacy and employers being able to see your personal online profile. LinkedIn in solely a professional network so I have started to use this more to network and make contacts within the industry. 

Motives of others in the network? 

When employers post online that they are looking for dancers or an employee of any type they are hoping that people will share and pass on the information and as a result find the best person for the job! It is important for companies to network so they can hire the best people. By talking and networking with others in the industry you can find out about people's reputations. For example whether someone is a quick learning, which can be especially important if they are looking for a last minute dancer or employee! Like wise this can work the other way around too and through the networking and talking to people you can find out about a company's reputation and whether or not they look after their emplolyees! For other dancers keeping in contact with each other they can keep each other informed about events within the industry. Whether that be auditions, master classes or workshops. Also just the general sharing of information about the industry, for example a good dance website that has a sale on leotards or a local studio that offers a good jazz class! Possible the people in the industry that need to have the broadest network would be agencies. They have to find out who the best performers are so they can represent them and then they have to network with the best companies to get the best jobs for them! 

What would my ideal network look like? 

My ideal network would consist of a wide range of people from the industry and outside because you never know where an opportunity may arise from! 
Network include:
Other dancers 
Singers 
Actors 
Musical theatre performers 
Teachers 
Ex-teachers
Agencies 
Photographers 
Producers 
Filmmakers 

What could I do to work towards developing my ideal network? 

Becoming more active on sites such as The Hustle on Facebook and Dancers Pro. Perhaps participating in online forums and talking to more people in the industry.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Maddie! Your blog post made me think about a couple of things.

    "Like wise this can work the other way around too and through the networking and talking to people you can find out about a company's reputation and whether or not they look after their employees."

    It made me wonder if the need for networking stops or decreases as you become more established as a practitioner or practice? Do you rely more on things like recommendation, word of mouth, the returning of a customer for example? I think that increasing of networks then depends on preference and that its then required to maintain former relationships, communities etc and keep up standards. It made me think about how for a photographer for example, one bad shoot experience from a client could really damage their networks - particularly with the use of Web 2.0 nowadays and the ability to reach a wide audience through sharing and multiple connections.

    Another thing you mentioned was the role of an agent and they possibly need to have the broadest of networks. I think this is a really valid point for further thought. Do we rely on agents to network for us? Do we value and desire to be represented by certain agents due to their networking ability? Some agents often bring influential employers to watch performances that their clients are involved in. I think it's very important for you to have a positive relationship with your agent because they are there to support and advise you but which qualities override the rest? If you don't have an agent is it more essential to be a good networker? If you are skilled at networking, do you even need an agent? What are the other benefits?

    Thanks for all the thinking caps 😊👍🏻

    ReplyDelete