Wednesday 27 April 2016

Task 3b Concepts of Networking

An example of networking. I have just received an email from a company asking me to work as an assistant choreographer for a few performances and workshops they have coming up in the summer and this made me think about how I got this job through networking. I did a job for this company about 6 months ago and really liked the company so I spoke to them after the project ended and said how I would be really interested if they had any future work and I emailed them after the event just to remind them who I was and pass on my contact detail and randomly 6 months down the line I have got a job out of it. Which just shows that it is important to out yourself out there and make connections with people! 

Concepts of networking:

CO-OPERATION:

I understand that in order to network efficiently it is important to cop-operate with people. Whether they be a colleuege or a boss or even someone that you cross paths with at an audition it is important to be easy to get on with and pleasant to talk to. The first impression you create of yourself is very important, especially in my industry as often people or potential employers will judge you immediately when you walk through the door at an audition! In the Robert Axelrod has a theory that cooperation is important until you can maximum benefit and then 'defecting'. I don't completely agree with this in terms of networking in my industry and after reading Lois-May's blog I can see that she feels the same way. I believe if someone has helped you reach a certain goal in your career then it is important to be greateful and try to help them back, not 'defect away'. Another example I thought of is after a teacher has helped you and passed on a lot of knowledge I think it is important to remain in contact with them rather than defecting away! 

AFFILIATION:

Generally people will affiliate with people on a personal and professional level and much social research has been conducted to discover why this it. There has been an interesting discussion on Lois-May's blog about how you might network different,y and less informally with friends rather than with people you know on a more professional basis. In an extract I have read from .... It states about the benefits of affiliating and networking with people on the same level as us aswell as higher up in the networking hierarchy. For example for me I should networking with other dancers and performers as well as choreographer and producers! 

As it says in the Reader it is important to give time to think about these concepts and see if it provokes any thoughts or ideas in regards to my own professional network. How can I use these ideas to broaden my own professional network and advance in my career. 

No comments:

Post a Comment