Tuesday 15 November 2016

Quick blog!

I'm rather short of time this morning but trying to fit in a quick blog post before going off for tonight's performance! I missed the campus session yesterday but Paula kindly has posted a blog about the session and also a video on youtube which I've found very helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCdYXqER-oA&feature=youtu.be

The topics of discussion were arts-based research and activism. From watching the video and reading Paula's and other students blogs I can see that a transdisciplinarity approach is encouraged in arts-based research and this centres around a problem and utilises a collaboration between two or more disciplines. The students were saying that it's not only about your personal point of view but also looking at social needs and seeing how your research could benefit fit others on a larger scale. They also mentioned about thinking about outside the box and outside your own arts area of expertise. I am going to try to incorporate other arts into my arts-based research and will be interested to see the effects this has on my research and in turn my inquiry.

They also spoke about activism and the involvement of currents cultural and political affairs. It was interesting how people's perceptions of this topic varied but the word 'respect' was repeated by several students.

...................................................................................................................................................................


On another note ...

Adelsola commented on my recent blog about research techniques into dance and movement therapy:

'So where does your research sit along the scientific and phenomenological? We are not really looking at scientific methods in this course, right? We are interested in experience - see all the ideas in Module one. So where does that indicate our research sits as you plan it?
What does this all say about finding a definitive 'answer' to our research or just finding out more and being more informed about your own practices?'

Although I had been researching this topic I don't think I had really looked at how it links to me and my research in the course so it was very helpful for Adelsola to point this out to me. This indicates that my research will be very much phenomenologically based as I will be researching into people's perceptions and perspectives. I have found lots of texts online about phenomenological research so it will be interesting for me to read these and see how they can inform me of how best to carry out a phenomenological inquiry! 






No comments:

Post a Comment