Friday 11 November 2016

Research techniques in dance/movement therapy ...




From reading into the topic of dance/movement therapy (DMT) I can see that there is some controversy surrounding the topic of the accuracy and validation of various research techniques. The need for research in this subject is quite clearly pinnacle and although the idea of research inquiry is commonly encouraged there is much controversy around the issue of traditional scientific methods of research being advantageous for dance/movement therapy. This is where qualitative methods of research have burgeoned and less structured techniques of research have been channeled. I have found a paper which examines these research methods (scientific and phenomenologic) and discusses which of these are most applicable to the research of dance therapy and other creative arts therapies.  It is interesting for me to read into these topics as it may give me some guidance for the future about how I may wish to conduct my research for my professional inquiry. 

The Spectrum of Research Options in Dance/Movement Therapy:
Berrol, C.F. American Journal of Dance Therapy (2000) 22: 29. doi:10.1023/A:1005518409716


Lenore Wadsworth Hervey - Artistic inquiry in dance/movement therapy. - 
https://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&lr=&id=6VKcCQAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR1&ots=YlLFezndCu&sig=mEROVXr3m2Z-pKTu-psq-HFKAU4&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false




'I believe the greatest research asset of the creative arts therapies profession is the fact that we cannot be exclusively identified with either art of science' (Mcniff. 1986) 
This quote above put a really thought provoking spin on the subject and although this is described here as a 'research asset' I guess it could also be regarded as a hindrance. People will have different views about where the creative arts therapies lie on the scale of science/art, and therefore will potentially have conflicting opinions about how research and development should be conducted. In a more science based environment it's more black and white. A fact is a fact. But in the creative arts there is perhaps more room for perspective. 
Although when I sat down to do work today I actually wanted to find another piece of literature to analyse and blog about I ended up finding a whole range of information and learning a lot about research techniques for dance/movement therapy which will be very useful for the future of my inquiry. 



3 comments:

  1. So where does your research sit along the scientific and phenomenological? We are not really looking at scientific methods in this course, right? We are interested in experience - see all the ideas in Module one. So where does that indicate our research sits as you plan it?
    What does this all say about finding a definitive 'answer' to our research or just finding out more and being more informed about your own practices?
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I had been researching this topic I don't think I had really looked at how it links to me and my research in the course so it was very helpful for you to point this out to me Adesola. This indicates that my research will be very much phenomenologically based as I will be researching into people's perceptions and perspectives. I have found lots of texts online about phenomenological research so it will be interesting for me to read these and see how they can inform me of how best to carry out a phenomenological inquiry! From the looking back over the course so far I can see that all the skills I have learnt will help me with this type of research. I think that in this sort of research there is no one answer so at the moment it is just about informing me of my own practice.

      Delete
    2. Great points - That is exactly the kind of research approach that works best for this kind of course.
      Adesola

      Delete